Sunday, August 31, 2008

A First Without Mom-"Payson Onion Days"

The Dorius clan packed up and headed to Payson for the annual "Onion Days" festivities.  This is the first tradition we attempted to continue without mom.  We still had a good time but she was definitely missed.
For those of you who are new to this crazy tradition here is the run down.  We take Dad's, Jenn's, and Megan's (where we are kindly invited to stay) trailers, along with Ash and Rob's tent (Dawn and Aaron get a hotel.  I am beginning to think that they are the smart ones).  We camp in the middle of Gladstan Golf Course in Payson.  Sometimes I don't know if it's worthy to be called camping but we do get dirty.  We usually stay from Friday-Monday over Labor Day weekend.  This was my first attempt to stay the whole time with my 3 little ones.  We didn't quite make it, but we tried;)  

Friday-I got there early with Josh and waited as everyone arrived.  We went to Pizza Factory for dinner (all 23 of us) and then hung out at the campsite until the kids were tired enough to go to bed.  Aly woke up 3-4 times this night and as a result, I held her the remaining 4 hours to let everyone else get some sleep.
Saturday-the men golfed and the rest of us went to the lake to water ski.  We got back to the camp, showered, ate, and headed in to town to go to the carnival.  Yep, we are trailer trash and carnie trash.  
Aly and I slept in the van this night to keep her from waking everyone up.  She managed to keep me up most of the night however:)

Sunday-we began the day with a trip to the ER because Tobe tripped and landed (nose first) on Jenn's trailer stairs.  He had to be sedated and have about 6 stitches in his nose.  He was so brave (even braver than his mommy).  I was a mess.  I bawled all the way to the hospital until Brett told me to pull it together because Tobe needed me to be strong.
Shortly after we got to the ER my dad came to take care of me while Brett took care of Tobe.  I was so grateful to have him there for moral support.  
He will have his stitches taken out in 5 days and they will do an X-Ray to see if anything is broken.
When I got back from the hospital, Jane had a fever and Aly has been teething.  Needless to say, I was ready to give up.  I did hold out so Brett could go biking with the guys but then I had had it.  We packed up and headed home.  My kids crashed at 7:15.  I am looking forward to a good night's sleep.

I am glad we decided to go to Payson even though it was hard.  Nothing is the same without mom.  But I feel that if we continue in the traditions she helped create then she will be there with us.  I think we all felt a little emotional at times but we still enjoy being together as a family.   It helps to have support as we try to get used to this new normal.  


Kami said...

poor tobey. that stinks. I think it is great that you guys continue this tradition. In a few years when your kids are older, it will be more fun for you.

ps. remember the year that we joined you guys for a dinner down there and a bee flew into my Dad's pop can and it stung his tongue when he took a drink. that was crazy. Good times!

Becky, yep said...

I love the term 'carny trash'! So funny!
I feel so bad for Tobe...noses hurt like the dickens! I'm glad you went and glad you knew when to call it and head home!
Hope you have a relaxing rest of the weekend!!!

the clements family said...

Poor Tobe! Hope he is feeling better. We missed him in class! I have been dying to hear if you have heard anything yet??

Leslie said...

sounds like a fun tradition, but i am sure you could have done without the injury time out.
sorry you had to go through it without your mom and sorry your little boy got hurt. i hope he is feeling better soon.

Debbie said...

Holy Cow. I remember those times when you try to keep the little ones quiet. It was a nightmare. I hope you got some sleep. All in all though, it is a fun tradition and I bet She was there. Give Tobe a kiss for me.

Kelli @ "Writing" the Waves said...

His poor little nose. I would have been bawling too.

Props to you for trying the whole camping thing...I'm still not brave enough to attempt it.

Trying to sleep in the van? You poor thing, I hope you got some sleep last night.

I'm glad you enjoyed being with your family though. I think it's awesome to continue those traditions that your mom helped to create.

Heather @ A Boy, A Girl, A Pug said...

That boo-boo looks painful! Poor little guy!

I must say, using the terms "new normal" brought tears to my eyes. I can't imagine how hard this must be for all of you. I think about you often.

Jenna said...

Poor Tobe and poor you! I hope his nose will be ok. Way to be a trooper and brave camping with 3 children. You made it 2 nights longer than I would have. I'm sure your mom is happy that you have all kept the tradition going!

Kristine said...

What a weekend! Hope Tobe's nose ends up damage free and you got some sleep! I'm sure it will be such a good memory in about ten years!

Shauna said...

Oh my. Sounds like a pretty rough weekend but a good family tradition. Hopefully next year will be better.

estanworth said...

Poor little TOBE!! How is he doing now? I am so glad that you all went and carried on Payson Days. I am sorry that your kiddos were not feeling well!

Staci said...

At least you are ambitious enough to go in the first place. I am sure your kids had a good time despite being sick and getting hurt. That's great you are carrying on the tradition. Hope cute little Tobe is doing okay. It's so sad to see your kids get hurt!

Dawn said...

Mackay prayed last night for family prayer and asked Heavenly Father to please give Tobe his "normal" face. "He doesn't have the same face and we recognize him but wish his normal face would come back soon."

Gotta love what kids say.