Thursday, February 21, 2008

Right on Schedule

Here is the training program for a 5k race.  I am planning to do one on April 26 at 9:00 am at Thanksgiving Point.  For all of you who want to join in on the FUN it's not too late to start training.  We have 9 weeks from this Saturday to be ready.  This training program is 10 weeks but you'll find you can skip a few of the beginning weeks.  Because of the cold weather I just started to train and I began with week #4.  It is a challenge but it's fun to accomplish it and feel good. 
You run only 3 times a week.

Week #1                                                   Week #6
Run 2 minutes easy                                   Run 9 minutes
Walk 4 minutes                                         Walk 2 minutes
Repeat 5 times.                                         Repeat twice, then run 8 minutes.

Week #2                                                   Week #7
Run 3 minutes                                           Run 9 minutes
Walk 3 minutes                                         Walk 1 minute
Repeat 5 times.                                         Repeat 3 times.

Week #3                                                   Week #8
Run 5 minutes                                           Run 13 minutes
Walk 2 1/2 minutes                                    Walk 2 minutes
Repeat 4 times.                                         Repeat twice.                                       

Week #4                                                   Week #9
Run 7 minutes                                           Run 14 minutes
Walk 3 minutes                                         Walk 1 minute
Repeat 3 times.                                         Repeat twice.

Week #5                                                   Week #10
Run 8 minutes Run 30 minutes 
Walk 2 minutes       Walk 2 minutes                                     
Repeat 3 times.
or a 5k race

This program is for people (like me) who have never run before.  If I can do it so can you!!
Summer is just around the corner and this year is OUR YEAR!!!

6 comments:

Liz said...

how do you sign up for it? The race.

The Gatherum Family said...

You are awesome! I am excited to start running again after this baby-good luck with your training and the race!

Becca said...

I'm totally going to try this with you. What a great thing to do with our 30th's coming up! How many times a week do you run? I'll have to get all the dets. Thanks for the motivation!

Lisa Cannon said...

Good luck! I think I'll sit this and others out. I don't love running!

Logan and Ashley said...

Yeah for you!! I am hoping to run the Boulder Boulder in May and it is a 10k. Yikes, but I think I can do it, I can run a 5k pretty well, so I have to just keep training. You should come over for it on Memorial weekend and we could run it... come on you know you need a break, we all do at some point!!!
:0)

kami @ nobiggie.net said...

When it is written out in minutes like that, it doesn't sound so bad. I want to join you.

Blogging on a trip...I know, I am addicted. :)